Thursday, July 21, 2005

Major News (or, rather, New Major)

Yeah, so I did it again. Haven't even gotten to seminary yet and I'm planning on changing majors. Only have four more times to go, right? Due to interests in languages, history, the middle east, and a curiosity on how the old testament fits with the new, I had originally signed up for the Old Testament/Semitic Languages program at Trinity. However, I also want to do more work with philosophy afterwards, and I have been finding that I enjoy big-picture theology that involves putting stuff together from various sources rather than detailed exegetical work. In addition, I have over a semester's worth of entrance deficiencies to take care of as of now. So, the plan is that I will switch to either the Christian Thought major (which requires an emphasis and a cognate field, where I would have an emphasis in philosophy of religion and biblical/systematic theology as my cognate field), or to the Philosophy of Religion major with some extra Systematic Theology courses on the side (It's only 32 hours, and I'll need to spend 2 years there due to when courses are offered as well as having time to do a thesis and fieldwork). This way, I'll be better prepared for Ph.D. work, I'll probably be more interested in the subject, and I'll have no entrance deficiencies. So far, my first semester classes will be: Theology I: Intro to Theology Introduction to Theological Research Methods Philosophers of Religious Significance: Kierkegaard Seminar on Current Issues: Metaphysics of World Religions Seminar on Current Issues: Sovereignty and Salvation in Wesleyan-Arminian Theology And now for something completely different: a proof of free will. Assume that I have free will. Case 1) I have free will. Q.E.D. Case 2) I do not have free will. Thus, I could not have chosen to believe otherwise and I had no choice in giving this argument either. Q.E.D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is *so* typical of you, friend!
Are you taking Phil of Mind this summer? How's that going?
E-mail me sometime when you have a free moment.