Saturday, November 17, 2007

Clarifications

Currently reading:
Tradition & Traditions
   by Yves Congar

I figured that I would put down some reasons which have allowed me to take the leap of seriously considering conversion. I doubt that I'll convince anyone else, but at least in this way people can understand my position better, and (I hope) at least have some concerns removed about what I may be giving up in going.

First, in reading through the documents of Vatican II, I was struck by how often they pointed things back to Christ. The status of the church is founded up Christ, Mary and the saints are meant to demonstrate the power of God, and infallibility is only supposed to be exercised in line with the message already given by Christ to the apostles. Now, one might think that the arguments are forced, that they don't reflect practice, and so on, and all of this may be true; however, what it did show me was that there is a real concern in at least official Catholic theology to give due honor to our Lord.

Second, in reading certain accounts of tradition (such as that given in Vatican II, or more explicitly in Tradition and Traditions), I was able to find a view of tradition which gives due place to Scripture and the message given to the apostles by Christ. I don't have to accept the Tridentine account which gives revelation one source in Scripture, and once source in tradition; everything is bound up, and Scripture is a quite necessary element. It's not even that there is a separate oral tradition complementing Scripture, but rather an interpretative tradition which has also supplied forms of worship. If one takes typological exegesis of Scripture as important, and not just historical-grammatical (something which I think is necessary for treating Scripture as a canon, and to account for the exegesis within the NT and the early church), then the interpretive community really does have something to supply which is based on Scripture but also alongside it; Scripture is sufficient as a source, though not as a proof, of doctrine. Again, you may not be satisfied by this account, but the important thing is that I see views which are allowed within RC that give greater primacy to Scripture than has been done at times.

Third, I've been rethinking the relation between faith and works, and reading some more on the Catholic view of the matter. On the one hand, as I've mentioned, I see a greater coherence in Scripture through altering some of the more traditional Reformed categories; on the other, I see RC statements which strongly affirm the working of God's grace within salvation and or subsequent actions.

So, these are some of the reasons which have allowed me to reconsider my options. I do not see myself as changing my basic convictions, but rather seeking a place to express them without the present problems I see in Protestantism. I don't plan on putting up pictures of Mary in our house, or of opening up meals with a prayer to St. So-and-so. I don't plan to ritualizing my way to salvation; I don't seek a new way of salvation at all, but to follow what it is I see that God wants me to do. I don't want to introduce a new source of revelation. I've always considered myself an Evangelical per accidens; that is, the doctrine in Evangelicalism matched up with my own, but with no necessary reason behind it. For me, it's been and will be about the primacy of Christ working through his people, and giving due glory to God in the way which God has seen fit.

No comments: