Monday, December 10, 2007

Combination Models

Thus far, I've been dealing with single-method approaches to gathering theology from Scripture. This will strike many as being implausible; why not make use of all of our methods? I will be focusing on the Wesleyan Quadrilateral (WQ) in this discussion, but I think that most other models will fare in a like fashion.

I take a model like the WQ to be both descriptive and normative. Whatever we say, we actually use tradition, reason, and experience in reading Scripture; insofar as we are doing Christian theology, we have to deal with Scripture as well, in that it has been the background for all further theologizing, whatever our normative commitments may be. We use experience and reason, because we need to appropriate Scripture ourselves and not merely relate the words on the page. We use tradition, because we come from a community (or communities) which has taught us how to read Scripture.

This, I believe, leads to the normative use of the WQ: since we use all of these things, we ought to use them well. Once we realize that reason, experience, and tradition are always applied to Scripture, whether we like it or not, how can we stand around using them poorly? The alternative would be to approximate a Scripture-only position, trying to pare away the other poles. But these other poles are the conditions under which Scripture is actually meaningful! Scripture cannot mean anything to us unless we ourselves understand it, in our present circumstances, within our community.

So, from here, the next alternative may be to emphasis one of the poles over the others. Traditional Protestant groups have raised Scripture above the others, but then this falls victim to the discussions at Sola Scriptura and Inerrancy. So, we have the remaining three poles, although we still would want to say that Scripture functions is a way distinct from the others; the other poles are ways of appropriating Scripture. To emphasize experience is to fall victim to the comments in Pragmatism, and reason leads to many of the comments concerning Logic.

To sum up these discussions: reason leads to the possibility that we've cut up the world incorrectly (and it may well me that any world-cutting is only good for particular uses), and so any theoretical theology could be toppled due to its consequences, no matter how solid it appears to be; modus tollens is applicable whenever modus ponens is. Experience leads us to formulate ways of approaching given ends, but cannot give us the ends in the first place. Reading Scripture alone (and thus, emphasizing our reading of Scripture, even while trying to claim to put Scripture itself above the other poles) ignores the complexities of the hermeneutical situation (such as the difference between divine and human authorship, and ad hoc references to tradition). I haven't written specifically about the pitfalls of tradition, but it shares with all the rest the pitfall that it, raised above the others, removes itself from critique; however, we can see that all of these need critique.

Therefore, it seems at least that any theological foundationalism is flawed. We never have pure Scripture, pure reason, pure experience, or pure tradition. If any of these attained, we would be right to use it as our foundation. The arguments for any view are quite cogent when the messiness of life is removed. As such, we end up with a theological coherentism, which seeks to create the most coherent framework for theology.

Under such a view, we have to start somewhere in building our webs of beliefs. We don't methodologically emphasize a view, but we do take one to begin our journey. From here, I cannot say that my reasonings should convince others of RC; but I regard it as a legitimate view in light of the discussion. At very least, it is as valid vantage point for theological discussion as other views, in particular since they've acknowledged the way that tradition has changed over the years (my main problem with EO is that they still put up the "unchanged since the 1st century" line; even though I have more specific doctrines that I disagree with in RC, I actually like the way in which they play out in RC better than in EO).

I think that the traditional Protestant view has been tried and found wanting, which is why I have spent the most time refuting it. My reason has convinced my that there are at least some reasons for looking at RC, in particular because (currently, at least) it seems to be the church which supports the intellectual life the most.

Experience shows me that most people really are not good at getting doctrine right, and at least here in America want to go about spreading their own views anyhow; either (a) there is a way short of vast intellectual effort which will help them to the right view, (b) the right view doesn't really matter, or (c) most people are morally culpable for not searching out their own faith. I think that (b) ends up with the same problem discussed in Pragmatism, that there has to be something set in place in order to decide which end people should seek, even if this is being good people (and what being a good person entails) and loving others (whatever love may be). And as one of my major problems with traditional Protestantism is that it is awful at listening to what others have to say (if they can't understand RC, Barth, liberals, atheists, and so on, enough to get those positions correct even while sharing similar cultural circumstances, why should I expect them to get Paul correct?), I wish to listen to others when they tell me that I would be putting too great a burden on them with (c); at any rate, I am too arrogant to be the one to bring up the issue. Therefore, I personally am left with (a). This, tied together with an attempt to take tradition seriously and not just when it supports my own view, is what is leading me to RC.

6 comments:

S. Coulter said...

Unfortunately, the PC I was using ate my comment that I tried to post here a few hours ago. Here goes for a repeat:

Thanks for a good summary of the discussion thus far! :)
I want to affirm what you say about the inappropriateness of elevating one of the four sources above the other three in the WQ, and note that I was taught this in a Taylor Bible class being taught by a prof who had a degree from DTS. The only reason I have for making that second point is that I think such a view (which may not in principle be consistent with "sola Scriptura") finds itself more or less at home in an evangelical Protestant setting. Adopting it, thus, does not in my view place one necessarily outside of evangelical Protestantism.

I also want to affirm your emphasis on listening. An appropriate use of WQ in doing theology in community involves listening well to all the relevant voices (from Pope Benedict to Karl Barth to John Piper to Brian McLaren). This is also consistent with the Socratic approach to philosophical dialogue that I was taught in my philosophy classes at Taylor.

Let me also affirm that RC is a perfectly legitimate standpoint from which to engage in theologizing, wielding the WQ.

I would like to clarify the distinction between taking tradition seriously and not just when it supports my own view (which I think I endorse) and making tradition supreme over the other three sources in the WQ (which I think we both would reject). I hope I can take tradition seriously, in the relevant sense, without losing my right to disagree with it on the basis of scripture-reason-and/or-experience. In practice, I am worried that this is difficult to distinguish from using whatever argument I want to support whatever position I want, but I think that's just one of the hazards of a realistic epistemology. (Which again, I think sounds a Jamesian note).

As you note here, you haven't criticized tradition yet. I would like to note that one could endorse your "(a) there is a way short of vast intellectual effort which will help them to the right view" without seeing tradition, or RC tradition, as the way in question. Why not direct illumination via the H.S. while reading scripture, or some other experiential consideration? Now, I know there are good reasons to be dissatisfied with this tack. But (and maybe this is my underlying foundationalist streak showing its head despite my best efforts) I am afraid we'll have to identify *some* way of knowing that helps us to identify the correct tradition--probably one based on reason and tradition (and maybe scripture) if we end up picking the RCC tradition.

I wonder if my suspicion is that you're sneaking in tradition (specifically RCC tradition) as a foundational point for your theological epistemology. But I really doubt this is what you mean to be doing. I'm sure no matter how long we continue this conversation, there will always be more for you to clarify. I know I have not and maybe cannot satisfactorily clarify everything about my own religious epistemology.

M. Anderson said...

Thanks for your (as always) helpful comments, SC.

First, concerning Taylor: I agree that I've heard good things coming out of Evangelical mouths. I do not want to stop listening to Evangelicals, I merely think that what they have to say conflicts with their assumptions (or the assumptions which would be necessary in order to make their theology work). Like with a moral atheist (on my own hunches concerning ethical theory, at least), I am rather glad for this contradiction as opposed to a more consistent view, though at the same time once I've recognized it then I cannot hold the position.

In addition, I have become somewhat jaded at those who are supposed to be the star Evangelicals, yet who do not carry these things out in practice. I would need something rather strong in order to overcome that sense of betrayal so that I could trust our scholars again, and I don't see it forthcoming.

> I wonder if my suspicion is that you're sneaking in tradition (specifically RCC tradition) as a foundational point for your theological epistemology.

You're right, this is something that has concerned me. I think that a contemporary account of RC tradition, though, has moved away from foundationalism to a more dynamic approach (but then, I have to start wondering what makes it qualitatively different from other uses of WQ). I'll have to do some serious thinking on this.

I think that the core of my thought concerning tradition is this: we appeal to tradition for relatively important doctrines like the full humanity and divinity of Christ. However, at earlier times and just as stridently, people argue for the unity of the church, appeal to apostolic succession, and (at least seem to) believe in the real presence at the Eucharist. Without a good argument to the contrary, it seems to be an all-or-nothing deal among these: if I want to (strongly) hold to Christ's divinity, then I need to take the other issues seriously. If I want to deny to other issues, then I need to be much more careful about who Christ was (I could affirm his divinity, just not as a key point in doctrine). As I think that Christ's divinity is a central point for why I am a Christian, then I ought to accept the other doctrines held as strongly at the same time without further argument to the contrary.

> Why not direct illumination via the H.S. while reading scripture, or some other experiential consideration?

If there were something like direct illumination, then either (a) God doesn't really care much about our specific doctrines, as long as we are (very) approximately on the right track, or (b) God doesn't help a lot of people. I think that any similar model suffers from a similar problem, given the wide variety of readings within Protestantism which conflict on (what I would think would be) rather important issues.

In the end, though, I think my reason for not taking this route is psychological (or at least personal) rather than theoretical. I do too much work with religious studies, and see too many accounts of (wildly varying) religious experience in all of its forms to be comfortable being a non-pluralist Christian and also accepting such experience as a starting point for theology. Experience can help push me into or out of other views, but only as a secondary (albeit important) factor.

S. Coulter said...

I'm not sure how talking like a non-foundationalist (even perhaps non-inerrantist) involves an evangelical in a contradiction with his or her basic assumptions, unless foundationalism and/or inerrancy are essential features of evangelicalism. I am suspicious of the latter claim. But even if it is granted, I can just choose a different label than evangelical to apply to people who fit my description: something like (1) believing in the historicity of the resurrection, (2) in the divinity of Christ, (3) that substitutionary atonement is at least part of the significance of the crucifixion, and (4) salvation by faith in the work of Christ. I would be inclined to put something like "regarding the canonical Hebrew and New Testament scriptures as authoritative for faith and practice" without being too specific about what "authoritative" means, too. I'm guessing that it's this last point that is at issue? But isn't the live issue more whether or not scripture *alone* is authoritative for faith and practice, not whether or not scripture is authoritative? I'm not sure I think that the "alone" is necessary for being an evangelical, in my understanding--because of the foundationlism issue and WQ, and because interpretation of scripture requires WQ.

M. Anderson said...

Yeah, I realized later after writing that, that I could stand being clearer about the issue. In the end, the practical point that Evangelicals have not been good at those things historically is more important for me than the theoretical claim concerning whether they could.

As for your points, I would think that they more or less summarize basic Christian belief; I could hold them as an Evangelical, but also within RC an EO (although, the meaning behind the authority of Scripture and faith in Christ will be hotly debated). I think that it is the additional features added on within many Evangelical communities which start causing problems. Not the ones which are necessarily in any formal creeds, but the ones you need to hold to not be shunned, or kicked out of ETS.

S. Coulter said...

I guess I haven't grown out of equating "evangelicalism" with "mere Christianity". I think there are Christians who are not evangelicals by this definition (who don't accept substitutionary atonement or the historicity of the resurrection, for example); but I would certainly not claim that EO and RC are incompatible with evangelicalism, and I would expect to find evangelicals (as well as nonevangelicals) within those bodies.
I would like, in fact, to make "evangelical" synonymous with (small c) "catholic" Christianity.

I admit that evangelical means different things in different contexts. To the extent that evangelicalism does require a particular doctrine of inerrancy, I stopped being an evangelical (in word if not in practice) quite a long time ago.

M. Anderson said...

If that is how you are defining "evangelical," then I am fine with that; maybe we should differentiate between small-e and big-E evanglicalism, where the latter is what I am rejecting? I wasn't able to really consider RC or EO until I realized that their theologies (at least often) strongly and beautifully hold those points.