Friday, March 07, 2008

Procrastination

I figure that I'll post an update here, since I'm getting tired of studying and I haven't said much about what's been going on here recently. I'm currently working on language proficiency, as I am in no classes and have been told by my adviser that I don't need to do any more work on my thesis until after comps. So, I took up Greek (again) for fun, and when I finished the grammar for that, I started on Arabic; there may be some opportunities for me to do work in Arab-Christian interactions during the middle ages, which is the closest I will be able to get to combining medieval philosophy with other religions within a single program in the Chicago area. Latin and Greek suddenly seem easy, and I can't quite pinpoint the reason (though the unvoweled texts and the strange vocabulary certainly don't help).

As far as doctoral programs go, I'm basically sitting and waiting. I've been turned down at Northwestern, haven't heard back at Notre Dame, and have been waitlisted at Marquette. I've also realized that I really can't make the commute to Notre Dame (all the trains seem to be more interested in coming to Chicago early in the morning; odd thing, that), which basically means that I'm left hoping that I'm high up on the list at Marquette (I know I'm in the top 12 applicants, so I have a fighting chance, but I may not know anything definite until April). It seems to be a crazy year for applicants; almost twice as many applied to Marquette than the average, and I got a letter from Northwestern back in January saying that they had so many applications that they could only even look at the top few.

In addition, I'm currently waiting for my old car to be picked up for a charity. It's been sad; this was my first car, after all, almost like a sort of pet. It even miraculously started up for me for the first time in 3 weeks this morning, as if it were giving me a last drive to say goodbye.... Ah, Shadow, who will I get lost with now?

Ok, that's enough procrastinating. Back to filling my head with language information which I'll forget tomorrow, or if I'm really good, in 5 mintues.

Update: After going downstairs to check my mail, I found that I have yet another reason to cross ND off my list. Actually, two reasons, one for each program to which I had applied. Maybe I should start looking for a second masters program....

No comments: