Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Summer Presentation

If anyone just happens to be in Denver toward the end of June, and has some cash to spare to get into a conference, then feel free to come on by to the University of Denver for the "Philosophy in the Abrahamic Traditions" summer conference. I'm excited; it'll be my first conference presentation (well, if you ignore a couple valiant undergrad efforts). I'll be giving a paper on Ibn Bajja (aka Avempace) and Suhrawardi, on their critiques of the Peripatetic tradition. Basically, both argue against linguistic definitions and the limitation of our own individual concepts. In turn, they argue for for a direct perception of intellectual reality, thereby bringing about returns to Platonism in Andalusia and Persia. How could that not be thrilling?

1 comment:

Kevin Cody said...

Actually, maybe it shows my nerdiness, but that does sound pretty interesting. I doubt I'll be at the conference, but any chance of getting an advance copy of the paper?